My trip to USA started very early in the morning.
My plan was as following:
- Turku – Helsinki by bus
- Helsinki – Berlin by plane
- Berlin – Chicago by plane
- Chicago – Omaha by plane
I haven’t bought a flight back since I’ll be traveling around the US during my grace period and will probably leave from another airport than Omaha. Otherwise I would recommend taking a flexible round-trip ticket for almost the same price as one-way ticket.
When arriving at Chicago airport you first walk from your plane to the booths were you will have to answer some questions before entering the country. This is a very critical part if you have an transfer flight. You could end up standing in line for hours if you are one of the last to leave the plane. What I would recommend is to have everything ready before leaving the plane and in some cases even checking out the map of the airport before you arrive, to make things smoother.
I found this very useful link with information about entering the US. For instance what you need, what to expect when you arrive and waiting times for entering the border:
- Make sure you are ready to leave (bags packed, shoes on) when you are allowed to leave the plane
- Walk straight for the check in
- Leave enough room for your transfer flight if you have one
- Plan ahead if you are going to leave from the same airport or if you will leave from somewhere else.
- Pack stuff you could need in your carry-on bag if your bag was to get lost at the airport